Thursday, October 25, 2007

And so it goes, My Pandora Box Opens

Zuni became my 24/7 protection companion dog. Hah, my line of work, the Real Estate fixer upper and Rental business takes me around town. Though I strictly brought Zuni into our lives to protect Ginger, Tornado and myself on our walks, he is a cool dog to take everywhere. He is cool, calm and collected and knows exactly how to behave. Making very good impressions and giving the German Shepherd Dog a better name all around town.
I had NO intentions of ever becoming a breeder of anything. But, I constantly got asked if I bred him, would I let them know, they were interested in a pup out of such a great dog.
It would be a crime not to put progeny on the planet of such a great dog. However, breeding wasn't anything I'd wanted to do, and the knowledge it required would be more than just " lets get a female from anywhere and get her knocked up" THAT much or better,little, I knew... Coming from Europe the looks of the GSDs are quite different than those bred here, hence I imported Zuni from Europe.
And the other kicker: I didn't purchase him with his papers! So, I knew I was not interested and no papers, that made it official.
YEAH RIGHT!
I had a tenant who had 5 GSDs at that point and nice ones, by the way. The real German import lines. He was able to point out to me that my male, Zuni, was of an outstanding noble breeding. He called it "he looks like Royalty to me" yadiyadiya - of course, I feel that way too, especially now, with all I know about the German Shepherd Dogs and their lines, but then I was kind of like, Tenant kissing up to the Landlord stuff to me.
Either way, that tenant points out that through Zuni's ear tattoo I could find out who he really is...
That first AHA that is what that tattoo is about!!!
I said, I'd look into it then and that night (gotta love the internet) I went online and typed in
German Shepherd Pedigrees
to just see what would come up and a whole lot came up. The lady whom I contacted gave me instructions as to what to do to get the complete tattoo read by my vet and get back with her.
I did that and sent her that info where upon her reaction was.
That tattoo belongs to a dog called "Nolte von der Wienerau" and I DOUBT that you have a dog from THAT kennel without his papers.
You can imagine what I thought and did next.
von der Wienerau German Shepherd Dogs in the search engine and VAVOOM there was the first sign of true greatness that had come to my door by sheer stroke of dumb luck and awesome timing by the universe.
I can see Walter Martin smiling from heaven every time I hug his great dog. Walter Martin was the breeder of von der Wienerau kennel in Germany and I am, hands down, his biggest fan. More on (Walter Martin )

So you see, the challenge was on and I had no idea how great that one would be. To obtain Zuni's papers from the German Shepherd Dog registry in Germany, the SV (schaferhunde verein)
-to be continued-