Wednesday, October 31, 2007

On the Search for More Dogs

A bout of luck came when I found a kennel in Belgium, by the name of vom Venushof, who's breeder/owner had been friends with Walter since the day of VA1 Uran Wildsteiger Land. -the late 80s- This breeder had a lot of knowledge of dogs, and of Walter Martin which he was able to share with me.
(It took several years after that for the actual Wienerau Kennel to have a website and I was able to establish contact with them. I had already parked the Wienerau.com name somewhere as I was afraid that they'd loose out on it and once they went online with their zwinger-wienerau.com name, I pointed the Wienerau.com name to their si
te.)

From this breeder, Robert Venus, I first purchased Aline vom Venushof, a stunning red and black female and 100% Wienerau. Her sire is Apasche von der Wienerau and her dam is Ussaja von der Wienerau. Bred to Zuni she became the dam of the "A" litter out of which incredible "Ardan Cody vom Kerschberger" came and his sister "Aine" - which produced a three three (3,3) Line-breeding on Matty von der Wienerau.

After having been at the German World Championships 2x at the point of this writing, Cody could have
been extremely high in the rankings as truly there was not one dog in the top I would trade him for. Cody is privately owned but thankfully lives near me. That is why you see pictures of him all over my website. He is an amazing dog. Cody and Aline, his Dam >>>>
Zuni, is, of course, the Sire of Cody.

I bred Aline twice more to two different males, but they were outcrosses away from the Wienerau lines, and clearly the A litter was the superior litter of the three litters.

The important part for a breeder is to keep track of as many pups as possible they produce. Most breeders can't do that, but for me, I have to see that the proof is in the pudding. Especially in that first growing year of the pups it is important to see them develop. If you don't its difficult to breed for the betterment of the breed. Yes, it's still a crapshoot...

Then, I came up on Mercedes and Madonna von der Drei Sonnenseen. Two 100% Wienerau Bloodlined sisters with outstanding pedigrees and OFA Good hips. Madonna, the sister with all the attitude and super working drives, yet the lighter colors. Mercedes has the nicer colors, bit better conformation, but an ear set a bit croocked and her head not to strong in the nerves.

Madonna past on her strong character to her one pup in the one pup "B" litter, which is Bonita vom Kerschberger.
Out of Zuni, thereby making another 100% Wienerau bloodline. I have yet to breed Bonita and she d.o.b is 12.8.03
I bred both sisters (at very different times) to Zuni.
Bonita pictured at above left.
Madonna, her fabulous dam, pictured below











Out of Mercedes I held back the only stock coated female (there were 2 males, 2 females) This was the "E" litter. However, Mercedes stamped her croocked ear on this pup "Elsie" and Elsie was way too much of an alpha dog to live with us in a true pack. She remained small stature, fast as lightning, full of courage, hence she was sold to a Police K9 trainer where she is now at work doing some good in the world of fighting crime. Elsie pictured at right>>>

Mercedes pictured below