Thursday, October 25, 2007

Psychic Zuni


The psychic tests came when I was uncomfortable in several situations we've now encountered together. And this is where that amazing instinct lives in a dog that bonds with its owner. This is what I want to put forth in his progeny.

On one dreary day, I had to interview a couple of handy man at an empty house I was about to remodel. One of them gave me the creeps, and Zuni noticed it. He would circle the guy, punched and pushed him with his nose, tried to dominate him ;-), and would not let up. I apologized forever to the guy, but I also kept Zuni with me, as I thought Zuni thought something was wrong with this guy.

Of course, he picked up on my anxiety.

Another occasion with a handy man who had been too touchy feely with me (and I was about to deck him for it), was picked up by Zuni. He instantly started to 'dominate' that one too. And, I might add, he NEVER does that for any other reason other than to tell who's boss.

Yet one more incident in a remodeling job where a drunken laborer stood half naked (it was ugly) behind the stove cooking himself a gross breakfast. Oh yeah, it was 9am Saturday morning, and he was supposed to be sober and working... Anyway, I proceeded to tell him to GET OUT. And, of course, he refused while swaying left and right. I said, "are you sure about that?" And he's like, '"ITS SATURDAY" and I'm like "yeah, and you were here to work, not to sleep and party" so, he continuous with some profanity and I went "ZUuuuuuuuuuuuniiiiiiiiiiiii, Here.....!" And I told him to stand next to me. Which he did, ever so innocently. Just standing there made the guy get his stuff and get the out of my house... Zuni was just doing his job in the most appropriate way. He knows how to size up a situation! Its amazing.

Then, a near car accident we were involved with. Some drunk passes me on a spot with NO visibility, thereby heading directly into an oncoming car who's driver swerved off the road onto the bank of the country road. I pull over, run up the hill like an 18 year old...puff puff, and forget that I left Zuni in the car with $50 worth of steaks... I make sure the woman is okay first who almost got hit, but thankfully didn't get hurt , though she side swiped his car but landed against the fence. It was her lucky day. After about 10 minutes of reading the drunk the riot act and waiting for the cops, the ambulance showed and the girl was ck'd out for any injuries. After about 20 minutes the cops showed, and a lot of folks are standing around and I suddenly realize Zuni is in the car with the BEEF!!! So i run downhill, open the door and he had not touched a thing! I get him out of the car and walk him uphill (he pulled me, so it was easier the 2nd time around) and I start talking to the cops, the girl, the neighbors and Zuni behaves exemplary ignoring everyone and everything quietly standing next to me. Then he suddenly goes into ALERT mode and barks fervently towards a certain direction. So, we all look up, and low and behold, the drunk that created this accident is coming our way. WELL, until he noticed Zuni, that is... Unbelievable, since he had not seen this idiot before, but knew instinctively that this was the person that had created that anxiety in me!!!